Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lansdowne Tapes

I'm sitting listening to an awesome soundboard recording of Genesis in LA in 1975. Full Lamb lies down show. Awesome stuff.

This brings me to the fact that Dean and I reviewed the tapes from the Lansdowne show last night. Not usually a chap given to extended bouts of self-congratulation, I must confess I am really fucking stunned with how good they sound.

The highest point, musically, of the set, is the instrumental section of The Bond Of Mutual Distrust which bristles with intense energy and drive.

Dean's comment on the whole thing does kinda sum it up for me... whilst Rob fronts the whole thing with an intensely magnetic and punked-up energy, it's Steve's drumming that really hits you. I really take him for granted. He has without doubt taken on the complexities of the Anubis material and everyone seems to comment on his playing extremely favourably. I seriously underestimate what an incredibly exciting musician he is.

The end of Disinfected with Steve and Rob locking in into percussive thumping, Nick anchoring the whole low end down with frightening force and Doug and I off in flights of fancy over the top....

I think this is going to turn more than one head.

No comments:

Post a Comment